Be Careful What You Ask of the Weather

Aloha All,


We got off to a great start on this leg to the Big Island. Wind filled in and the direction was favorable and then more favorable. Puanani was in her element and responding as if she had someplace to go and knew how to get there.

Chef Clay cooked up the snapper we caught earlier at Niihau. I did my best to toss him around the galley by maintaining top boat speed. Clay definitely won this battle as his baked, panko crusted snapper was out of this world. Clay also had the last laugh because he/she who cooks does not do the dishes. I have some bruises to show for it too!

Back to the helm. I took first watch so my crewmate could get some rest. The wind and waves picked up through my shift. So much so that I wished for a little reprieve so the comfort level could return to at least “acceptable”.

I got what I requested when we passed the Kauai Channel and got behind the wind shadow of Oahu, also known as the “Gathering Place.” Seems Oahu saw fit to gather up all available wind and shut it down completely. We were now in a hole. A wind hole.

Fortunately it did not last long and the wind rose up and allowed us to sail nicely toward a near full moon. A blue footed booby bird decided to hitch a ride on our bow to keep watch over the watchstander. A pod of porpoise showed up to point us in the right direction and send us on our way. Splendid is the only way to describe this.

On a scary note!  Sailing along nicely on "port tack" when I heard a noise similar to a guitar string snapping.  Looking over to where I heard the sound and I see what no sailor wants to see.  The starboard cap shroud had parted at the turnbuckle and was swinging around in the breeze.  Fortunately it was the leeward shroud or we very well could have lost the mast.  Clay rushed into action and had the shroud reattached in no time.  Hopefully none of the interior parts of the fitting were lost overboard.  These are not supposed to come apart without significant and deliberate effort.

Take care and stay well
logan

Cap Shroud Fitting Diagram


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hele On To Kauai. Hanalei By The Bay!

Homeward Bound!

Skunked Again!