Skunked Again!
Aloha All,
Yesterday we displaced to a small bay 20 miles up (north) from Okoe Bay. This new anchorage was a bit challenging as the holding was not as reliable as was Okoe. Oh that’s right we grabbed an underwater fixed mooring at Okoe. Kind of cheating but one, you sleep better, and two, it saves the coral from your sweeping anchor chain.
This new anchorage, I’m told, is known as Nawaawaa (sp). I can’t confirm that because it’s not on the charts. Anyway, if you drill down (zoom in) on our track, you’ll see that it appears that we were being chased by a swarm of bees.
One of Clay’s good friends, let’s call him Bob. Has a house at Nawaawaa. Bob paddled out on his SUP to spend some time getting reacquainted with Clay. One of the things we were particularly interested in gleaning from Bob was his local fishing knowledge. Bob reviewed our techniques and equipment then assured us that we were doing everything right and should catch fish. We hadn’t! I mean a real pelagic fish anyway.
The next morning we stole away from Nawaawaa before sunrise, hell bent on catching a nice ono or mahi mahi. We spent the better part of two hours catching only a beautiful sunrise. Skunked again
We up anchored at Nawaawaa and went to Honokahau Harbor. About 10 miles further up the coast. There we refueled, took on water, ice (in case we do catch a fish), and beer (in case we don’t catch a fish). We also took on Steve, another of Clay’s many friends.
Side note: I have no friends so I must live vicariously through Clay.
Steve will sail with us up to our northern most anchorage (TBD) before we jump across the Alenuihaha Channel to Maui later this week. Or next week. Or…
Everyone take care and stay well.
logan
Track of Puanani Trying to Anchor at Nawaawaa
Comments
Post a Comment